Amobi Okugo is a professional soccer player, a student working towards my undergraduate degree, the founder of the financial-literacy blog Frugal Athlete and that’s only the beginning.
He was drafted after his freshman year at UCLA into Major League Soccer as part of the 2010 Generation Adidas Class, and now plays for the Portland Timbers. He has amassed over 150 appearances in all competitions professionally and has been honored to represent the United States national team program at various youth levels including the 2012 Olympic squad.
Amobi Okugo was born in Hayward, California, to Nigerian immigrants and is the oldest of four siblings. He is currently pursuing his Bachelor's Degree in Organizational Leadership and Development with a minor in Business Administration, to be followed by graduate school.
Other interests besides sports include business, entrepreneurship and marketing. Post-playing, it’s his ultimate goal to start his own management consulting firm with an emphasis on sports his next chapter, and help educate and guide the next generation of athletes.
Wanna follow your curiosity?
- Who is Amobi Okugo?
- What does purpose mean to him?
- You have your whole life ahead of you after sports.
- What is Frugal Athlete?
- How do you handle playing Major League Soccer,school, and your business?
- Athletes do have time to prepare, it’s just about your priority
- How the bottle wars at the club will make you broke
- There are certain unfair expectations as a pro athlete. You have to learn how to say no